I am saddened
Posted by Warm Southern Breeze on Thursday, June 9, 2011
This evening, I have been weeping.
Yes, I – a full-grown man – have shed very sorrowful tears upon learning of the untimely death of a long-time college friend and colleague.
My friend Jeffrey Rosado died this evening. Apparently, while dining at a Huntsville, AL area Applebee’s restaurant, he choked on some food, and by the time the HEMSI paramedics arrived, he was in full cardiac arrest.
That simple act – one which I have known from childhood – is very much like a “bear hug” from behind, and could have saved his life.
That all leaves me speechless. Frankly, it utterly stupefies me.
That should not ever happen… ever!! NOT EVER!!
The State of Alabama should enact a law requiring all restaurant employees to know the Heimlich maneuver and CPR, and have an AED on premises. In fact, it would be for the public good if every business that had over at least 20 employees were to have an AED & 20% of the staff knew CPR. It would benefit not only the public, but the customers, as well.
Toward that objective – preventing the unnecessary loss of lives – I am going to push for legislation that would require all restaurant employees in Alabama to know the Heimlich maneuver, CPR and require all businesses with more than 20 employees to have an Automated External Defibrillator on premises. It will be called the “Rosado Law.“
If you are in agreement with me, please let me know.
It’s not only the life of your neighbor, relative, or friend… but the life saved could be your own.